Cheerleading/Mascot Tryouts (April 24th & 25th)
****$30.00 Tryout Application Fee Non-Refundable
****Copy of Medical Insurance
****University letter of acceptance
Clinic April 24, 2015 at 7:00 PM
Student Recreation Center
1020 W. Ave. C Kingsville, TX 78363
Tryout April 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM
Health and Recreation Building
925 W. Engineering Ave.
Kingsville, TX 78363
Minimal Criteria to Apply for Javelina Cheerleader/Mascot Tryout
- Must be enrolled or accepted to the University.
- Must maintain a 2.0 Grade Point Average/Copy of Transcript
- Must be a full time student (undergraduate 12hrs. min and graduate 9hrs. min)
Tryouts are held in the spring semester and are judged by 3 judges. Selection for the team will be based on the cumulative score of at least 3 judges and Coach's decision. The general selection criteria is as follows:
JUMPS: 2 JUMPS (TOE TOUCH BACK TUCK AND PIKE BACK HANDSPRING)
CHEER: WILL BE TAUGHT AT TRYOUS
DANCE: WILL BE TAUGHT AT TRYOUTS
TUMBLING (Tumbling is REQUIRED): BACK TUCK & 2 RUNNING PASSES FOLLOWED BY A TUCK, LAYOUT, or FULL TWIST LAYOUT.
STUNTING: AERABESQUE 540, HEEL STRETCH FULL DOWN, & OPTIONAL STUNT.
** You will have two attempts to perform each stunt successfully. You may use any tryout applicants for your stunts. Outside assistance is not allowed**
- AERABESQUE 540
- HEEL STRETCH FULL
NOTE: YOU MAY USE ANY TRYOUT PARTICIPANTS FOR YOUR STUNTS. OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE IS NOT ALLOWED.
- Skit 1 1/2 minute skit to music
- Use of props is encouraged to enhance routine
- Skits should be done in pantomime
- Skits should incorporate spirit raising and crowd involvement skills
- Skits will not include any one outside of tryouts
CATEGORIES EVALUATED INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- CREATIVITY-TACTFUL MIMIC, IDENTITY, AND USE OF PROPS
- SCHOOL SPIRIT-CROWD INVOLVEMENT SKILLS
- IMPROVISATION-BODY LANGUAGE IS METHOD OF COMMUNICATION
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL:
Office of Campus Recreation and Fitness
This page was last updated on: September 23, 2015