McNair Scholars will be selected on a competitive basis. Applicants must be TAMUK juniors and seniors (graduating the following Spring term or later), with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Students who wish to be considered should submit an application to the program. A committee of faculty members and representatives from the McNair program will coordinate the selection process and match selected students with appropriate faculty mentors. In addition you must be:
- a U.S citizen or permanent resident
- a Junior or senior (all majors)
- a first generation college student who is low income, OR
- a member of a group under represented in graduate study.
Do You Qualify?
Interested students, please read the McNair brochure and submit the following documents to Eckhardt Hall room 126:
1. "Do You Qualify" Form
2. A completed application and assessment for the McNair Program
3. A current TAMUK or other campus transcript
4. A list of academic and extracurricular honors, distinctions and scholarships
5. A list of memberships in academic organizations and participation in academic activities
6. Previous research experience, if any
7. Three letters of recommendation, two from faculty members and one personal
8. Students with eligibility will be expected to interview with all administrative McNair team
9. A 300-word statement on why the applicant wants to participate in the McNair Program
10. Copy of social security and driver's license
11. Copy of 1040 tax forms
12. Copy of Academic Degree plan
The application forms can also be downloaded from the site and mailed to the staff. Application deadline is October 30th. If you have any questions please call (361) 593-4564/4589.
This page was last updated on: July 08, 2014