Student Recreation Center
The day to day management of a building not only concerns the efficient running of the building for the enjoyment and use of all patrons; but also requires a high standard of security to ensure that the safe, clean, healthy, and enjoyable environment is provided. Team work of all management staff is necessary. Any negligence or omission in carrying out any facility usage guidelines may be grounds for termination.
The following Rules and Regulations may not cover every situation or eventuality that may occur within the facility. Staff are employed to interpret and enforce the usage guidelines, as well as posted room regulations in order to maintain the safety and well-being of all customers. Members are expected to comply with these guidelines and applicable rules of the student code of conduct. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Department of Campus Recreation and Fitness office.
All physical activities offered in the Student Recreation Center and at other Campus Recreation facilities are on a voluntary participation basis and carry various degrees of risk or injury. Participants assume sole responsibility for an and all such risk or injury that may result due to voluntary participation. It is each individual's responsibility to be knowledgeable of his/her own physical condition when participating in any activity.
Participants must possess, and display upon request, appropriate identification. ID cards are nontransferable and for the exclusive use of the person named on the card. Cards will be confiscated if presented by anyone other than the rightful owner. The Student Recreation Center staff reserves the right to request identification at any time.
Use of university facilities is a privilege, and participants are expected to be good citizens and respect the rights of others. Individuals who engage in unacceptable or irresponsible behavior may have their access to facilities revoked or modified indefinitely, and/or subject to further University disciplinary action.
Bicycles, skateboards, in-line/roller skates, scooters, foot powered scooters etc. are prohibited at all Campus Recreation and fitness facilities. Bicycle racks are located outside of the facilities for bicycle parking.
Food, Beverage & Tobacco/Illegal Substance Use
- Food is allowed only in designated areas of the Student Recreation Center.
- Food is not allowed in any activity area unless approved for a special function.
- No glass or metal containers are allowed in the Student Recreation Center.
- Only beverages in plastic containers with re-sealable caps are allowed.
- Alcoholic beverages/Illegal substances are not allowed on the premises.
- Consumption of alcohol, intoxication or the appearance/smell of intoxication from alcohol or illegal substance will result in immediate removal from the Student Recreation Center and subject to further disciplinary action.
- THE STUDENT RECREATION CENTER IS A TOBACCO-FREE FACILITY. Smoking or tobacco use in any form is prohibited.
Bicycles, Skateboards & In-Line/Roller Skates
Bicycles, skateboards and in-line/roller skates are prohibited at all Campus Recreation and fitness facilities. Bicycle racks are located outside of the facilities for bicycle parking.
Pets, other than service animals, are prohibited at all facilities.
- For safety reasons, hats and jewelry should not be worn during any activity.
- Appropriate athletic attire, such as t-shirts, shorts, warm-up suits, sweat suits or aerobic clothing, is required at all times during recreation (cargo shorts or cut-off jeans are not considered athletic attire and are not acceptable)
- Fullback Shirts and protective athletic footwear in weight/conditioning rooms.
- Appropriate athletic footwear is required in all activity areas. Metal cleats are not allowed on playing fields.
- Footwear which marks floor surfaces or is worn inappropriately is not allowed.
Photography and Video
Customers and guests of the Department of Campus Recreation and Fitness acknowledge that photographs and video tapes may be taken during activities within our programs and facilities. By participating in our programs or entering our facilities, you allow that reproductions of these photographic materials may be used in promotional activities initiated by the Department of Student Recreation and Fitness and Texas A&M University-Kingsville. Persons wishing to take pictures within the Student Recreation Center will need to obtain permission from the Director in advance.
Lost & Found
- The Student Recreation Center is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Members are encouraged to store all personal belongings securely in lockers provided throughout the Student Recreation Center.
- Staff members are not permitted to hold equipment, valuables or bags for members.
- Found items should be turned in at the Member Services Desk.
- Equipment found in Student Recreational facilities and events will be sent to Member Services at the Student Recreation Center.
- Inquiries regarding items lost that day should be made at the specific location. On the following day, inquires should be made at the Student Recreation Center Member Services Desk.
- Personal belongings and/or unclaimed items retained at the Member Service desk after a week will be taken to UPD for proper disposal
Dependants of an eligible user (student, faculty/ staff, retiree or alumni) age 16 and under are welcome to use the Student Recreation Center at no charge. They must be accompanied by their legal guardian at all times. All children under the age of 16 are subject to the following policies while using the Student Recreation Center:
Membership Fees & Cards
Dependents 16 and under of eligible users are not required to have a dependent ID. A Birth Certificate may be required for age verification.
- Children 16 and under of non members are not allowed to use the facility.
- Children 16 and under may not accompany a member unless it is his/her child.
- Legal guardians must participate with or directly supervise and closely watch children (16 and under) at all times in all areas of the Student Recreation Center.
- Supervision requirements for children 16 and under are a ratio of 1 adult member per 3 minors (only dependants of member).
- Children 16 and under may not enter the Cardio/Weight Room or use any cardiovascular machines located throughout the Student Recreation Center at any time.
- Children age 5 and under are not permitted on the jogging track.
- Children ages 5 and under may use the locker room of the opposite gender when accompanied by an adult.
- Children sges 6 and older must use the gender appropriate locker room.
Children participating in scheduled, programmed activities (e.g. camps, lessons, parties, tournaments) may use the Student Recreation Center during the scheduled times for that activity only. These activities must be scheduled through the Department of Campus Recreation and Fitness.
- Sports equipment, such as basketballs, volleyballs etc. is checked out free of charge. All check-out equipment is for use in the Student Recreation Center facility only.
- Outdoor Equipment is available for overnight checkout and must be returned at the scheduled time.
- All check-out equipment (rentals & freebies) must be assigned to a SRC Member. Guests are not permitted to check out equipment. Valid member ID's must be presented at the time of check-out.
- Equipment designated for indoor use must stay indoors. Patrons wishing to play at the IM Fields, Outdoor Basketball courts should check out appropriate outdoor equipment.
- The equipment will be inspected upon return. If damages occur the SRC Member will be responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing the item.
Cardio/Weight Room General Guidelines
- Patrons should use extreme caution in lifting weights to avoid potential injury to themselves or others.
- Individual use of any one piece of cardiovascular equipment is limited to 30 minutes during peak hours.
- To avoid congestion and waiting lines, patrons should allow others to "work in" between sets while using strength training equipment.
- Closed-toe athletic shoes are required. No boots, dress shoes or other hard-soled shoes are allowed.
- Appropriate athletic attire, such as t-shirts, shorts, warm-up suits and aerobic clothing is required. Jeans and/or street clothes that have rivets on them may not be worn.
- Each patron is required to bring a dry towel to wipe down weight equipment, benches and cardiovascular machines after use. Towels are available at the Member Services Desk.
- Personal belongings such as backpacks, wallets, etc. may not be placed anywhere in the Cardio/Weight Room. Day lockers are located outside the room and in the locker rooms for your convenience.
- No beverages are allowed in the Cardio/Weight Room area.
- All equipment must be returned to its proper location after use.
- Weight belts that may damage equipment must be removed or covered appropriately.
- Dropping or banging of the weights is prohibited.
- All free weight equipment must be kept in the free weight area.
- Weights and bars of any kind cannot be leaned against the wall, pillars, equipment or mirrors.
- Spotters are strongly recommended for all free weight exercises.
- Collars must be used with all bars in the free weightlifting area.
- Cardio/Weight room equipment (bars, plates, dumbbells, etc.) may not be removed from the Weight & Fitness room for use in another area. (ONLY Campus Recreation and Fitness Personal Trainers may remove certain pieces of equipment from the Weight Room for their use while training a client.)
- Cardio/Weight room equipment may not be modified or used in a way in which it was not designed.
- Only Campus Recreation and Fitness Personal Trainers are allowed to train clients in the Student Recreation Center. (Other trainers will be asked to leave.)
- Persons under the age of 17 years may not use the Cardio/Weight Room.
- Upon request, Cardio/Weight Room Attendants may change the music selection.
- Television stations for televisions on walls will be changed only by the Cardio/Weight Room Attendants.
- Profanity, excessively loud or suggestive language will not be tolerated. Weight & Fitness Room Attendants may ask any patron to leave the facility if necessary.
- Please direct all concerns and maintenance needs to a Cardio/Weight Room Attendant.
- The two inside lanes are for walking and the outside lane is for joggers.
- Faster joggers or walkers should move to the outside lane. (#1, #2 walking and #3 jogging).
- Slower members should move to the inside lanes (#1 and #2 walking)
- Stretching and observation are allowed in designated locations only.
- For all members' safety, no loitering is allowed on the track surface.
- Children age 5 and under are not permitted on jogging track. (This includes babies in strollers.)
- Recreational users are not permitted to watch Intramural games from the jogging track.
- Facilities and equipment should be used for their designed purpose.
- All belongings are to be secured at all times. Key, backpacks and personal belongings are not permitted on the gym floor.
- Dunking is permitted on the basketball courts. However, hanging on the rim damages equipment and is not allowed. The SRC Member or guest may be required to pay for repair or replacement of damaged equipment.
- Hitting of volleyballs, soccer balls or any other item, against the walls is not permitted.
- If damages occur to Student Recreation Center equipment or facilities, the SRC Member or guest will be responsible for the cost of the repair.
- Any individual not following appropriate regulations or behaviors will be asked to leave the facility.
- Unreserved Open Recreation activities are available on a first -come, first-served basis with shared usage and challenge rules applying (winner stays). The designated Open Recreational activity will take priority over other users. However, reservations supersede all others.
- Do not rearrange the furniture.
- Food and drinks are allowed in these areas. Please discard of all trash.
- Appropriate behavior is expected at all times. Foul language is not permitted.
- Furniture should only be used for its designed purpose.
The users of the Intramural fields, Basketball court and tennis courts during recreational sports time should abide by the following rules. No glass containers of any kind are allowed.
- Re-sealable plastic or canned soft drinks will be allowed.
- Organized groups wishing to utilize this area must inform a facility staff member and fill out a facility reservation form in advance. Tennis Court reservations need to be handled through Health and Kinesiology Department.
- All coolers and bags are subject to search, to ensure compliance.
- The Department of Campus Recreation and Fitness cannot be responsible for lost or stolen property or injuries sustained while participating.
ADA Compliant/Handicap Accessible Facilities
The Department of Campus Recreation and Fitness is diligent in its efforts to make every part of a facility available to the community. If additional accommodations need to be made, please contact the Member Services Desk at 593-3059. The following accessibility features are available in Student Recreation facilities.
- Several pieces of equipment are accessible for the wheelchair user to perform a wide variety of resistance training exercises. These pieces are ADA compliant.
- Dumbbells are not considered an ADA compliant exercise device. However, it is well documented that experienced handicapped strength trainers can perform a multitude of strength training exercises with this equipment.
*Please remember that the Cardio/Weight Room Staff are there to assist patrons. Just ask any staff member for assistance or if you are interested in the services of a Personal Trainer, please visit the Member Services Desk in the lobby of the Student Recreation Center.