Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Music Student to Compete in State Music Teacher Young Performer Competition

KINGSVILLE - March 12, 2010

Contact: Adriana Garza
adriana.garza@tamuk.edu or 361.593.4979

Like many of her classmates, Texas A&M University-Kingsville music education senior Lauren Garza has spent a lot of time listening to her mp3 player lately. But she hasn’t been listening to the latest hit or singing along to her favorite song—instead she’s been memorizing Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto—18 minutes worth.

All the memorizing paid off Sunday, March 7, when Garza performed the piece on clarinet and won the regional division of the Corpus Christi Music Teachers Association Young Performer Competition. Garza advanced to the state level of competition and will travel to Arlington in June to compete in the Texas Music Teachers Association’s state convention.

“Because I was able to memorize the piece, I didn’t have to worry about reading the notes and I was able to just concentrate on tone and musicality,” Garza said. “I was able to focus on how the music sounded and that made for a good performance.”

Garza first picked up the clarinet in the sixth grade and the instrument has been an important part of her life ever since, though the Harlingen native comes from a musical family—her mother plays piano and her brother was in band. 

“I picked the clarinet because it sounded pretty and looked pretty,” Garza said. “I learned how to play and I really liked it.”

Garza, a student from the studio of A&M-Kingsville music professor Dr. Nancy KingSanders, hopes to someday share her passion for music with students after she graduates in 2011.

Go back | Archives Home | Return to University Home
Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

This page was last updated on: July 16, 2014