Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Winter Commencement ceremonies held

KINGSVILLE - December 15, 2007

Contact: Julie Navejar
kajam03@tamuk.edu or 361-593-2590

KINGSVILLE (December 15, 2006) — It was the end of the college era, but the beginning of a new career and a bright future as 579 students received degrees from Texas A&M University-Kingsville during two winter commencement ceremonies held Friday, Dec. 15, in the Steinke Physical Education Center.

There were 397 bachelor’s degrees, 162 master’s degrees and 20 doctoral degrees given, 15 from the College of Education, three from the Frank H. Dotterweich College of Engineering and two from the College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Human Sciences. Two students received two bachelor’s degrees.

This is the largest fall graduating class and the third largest overall in the last 30 years. This commencement class also had the largest number of doctoral degrees awarded in the last 30 years. There was the third largest number of master’s degrees awarded since 1990 with the top two being in the last year, with 189 master’s degrees awarded in spring 2006 and 172 in fall 2005.

The keynote speaker for both ceremonies was Brig. Gen. Angie Salinas. She is currently Commanding General, Marine Corps Recruit Depot/Western Recruiting Region in San Diego.

Salinas was born in Alice and moved to Kingsville when she was 10. Her family moved often as they searched for work, eventually settling in California. She began her military career when she enlisted in the Marine Corps in May 1974. More than 30 years later, she is the highest-ranking Hispanic female in the Marine Corps and the first Latina promoted to the rank of Brigadier General.
The majority of the members of the winter class of 2006 were from Texas with 444 from the Lone Star State. Seven were from another state and 126 were from other countries when they entered the university. The most frequent county of origin was Bexar with 134 graduates, followed by Kleberg with 56, Nueces with 39 and Jim Wells and Hidalgo with 29 each. More than half (57 percent) of the graduating students were minorities. The class was 53 percent female.

Of the bachelor’s graduates, nearly 40 percent entered the university as first-time freshmen while the remaining 60 percent were transfer students. The average age of those receiving bachelor’s degrees was 28. The average age of a master’s graduate was 27 and the average of the doctoral students was 40.

For bachelor’s degree recipients, the College of Arts and Sciences led the way with 127 graduates. They were followed by the College of Business Administration with 96. Rounding out the list was the College of Education with 90, the Frank H. Dotterweich College of Engineering with 45 and the College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Human Sciences with 38.

Three of the graduates were university employees; two received a bachelor’s degree and one earned a master’s.


Go back | Archives Home | Return to University Home
Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

This page was last updated on: July 16, 2014