Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Adjunct art professor to show work at museum

KINGSVILLE - October 26, 2006

Contact: Julie Navejar
kajam03@tamuk.edu or 361-593-2590

Turkish Marriage, 10 years later
Turkish Marriage, 10 years later

Fulden Sara-Wissinger, adjunct art professor at Texas A&M University-Kingsville, will show her art at an exhibit on campus at the John E. Conner Museum. Her exhibit, An Arabesque Tango II, includes paintings, drawings and ceramic sculpture and will be on display in the west wing from Wednesday, Nov. 1, through Wednesday, Dec. 13.

Wissinger grew up in Istanbul and is of European heritage mixed with Byzantine and Seljuk-Ottoman culture. “As a person of mixed culture, I am fascinated by other cultures,” she said. “Living in one of the world’s most exotic cultural crossroads created in me a delight for such diversity and a hunger to venture into the world to experience ever more.

“I attempt to reflect this in my work by fusing together visual elements that have opposing qualities thus creating harmony out of dissonance,” Wissinger added. “Circumstance dictated that I live in a very controlled closed environment for much of the time. With two working parents, no close relatives and few friends, I spent much of my time alone overlooking the magic below, the chaotic jostle of customs, cultures and religions rubbing against each other.

“Some of my most vivid memories are of emerging from my sheltered home to walk hand in hand with my parents through Istanbul’s world famous bazaars. I became swiped up in the sensual soup of sights, smells and sounds, a magical world far removed from my seven-story perch. It has taken quite some time and living half a world away for me to realize just how profoundly this dichotomy has shaped me,” Wissinger said.

She said her work mixes motifs from past cultural references with her graphic design background. “Strong texture against clean edges creates a sense of tension,” Wissinger said. “I view this juxtaposition of rigid geometry and animated organic as a metaphor for the interplay of opposing forces that enlivens Turkish culture.”

Wissinger earned her bachelor’s degree in fine arts in graphic design from Marmara University in Istanbul and her master’s of fine arts in 3D studio art from the University of Texas-Pan American. While attend UTPA, she worked as a graphic designer in the university relations department. She also worked as a graphic designer for several firms in Turkey.

She has had her work in many shows including Duality, La Muerte y La Vida at UTPA, the Third ASNA Clay Triennial and Exhibition in Karachi, Pakistan and an exhibit with her husband – Texas A&M-Kingsville associate art professor Charles Wissinger – at the Art Center of Corpus Christi.

Wissinger placed first in the Art Center of Corpus Christi’s 32nd Annual Dimensions show in November 2004 and first at the Brownsville Texas International Art Show in 2002. Her work appears in the Kirk Clark collection in McAllen, the city of Corpus Christi collection and the UTPA permanent collection.

The Conner Museum is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information on this exhibit, call 361-593-2810.

This page was last updated on: June 07, 2010