McNair scholars selected to attend summer camp
KINGSVILLE - June 06, 2006
firstname.lastname@example.org or 361-593-2590
Two members of the McNair Scholars Program at Texas A&M University-Kingsville were chosen and recently attended the second annual Arkansas McNair Scholars Senior Summer Camp.
Hilda I. Garcia, a senior bilingual education major from Roma, and Marisol Cruz Gomez, a senior psychology major from Odem, attended the camp May 31 through June 3. The camp enabled the students to prepare for graduate school by gaining valuable information through networking, informative sessions on the graduate school process and preparation for the GRE. When they return to campus, Garcia and Gomez will share what they learned with their fellow McNair Scholars.
Mary L. Gonzalez, assistant vice president of special programs at A&M-Kingsville, presented one of the sessions at the camp entitled Finding the Resources to Finance Graduate School.
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program is named after Dr. Ronald E. McNair, an astronaut who died in the space shuttle Challenger and was the second black American to fly in space. The program offers students exposure to the techniques used in major research programs by allowing them to conduct research under the guidance of graduate mentors from the disciplines in which they hope to pursue graduate study. In addition to research, the students receive assistance preparing for graduate school including help with application letters, tutoring for graduate school entrance exams and help obtaining financial aid.
For more information about the McNair Scholars Program, call 361-593-2241.
- Doctoral Graduate Receives Top Honors for Research from Environmental Professional Organization
- Five honored as Distinguished Students during spring commencement
- Texas A&M-Kingsville spring commencement held May 10
- A&M-Kingsville Kinesiology Professor Recognized as a Top Researcher in his Field
- Texas A&M-Kingsville professor wins prestigious Piper Award
- Graduating students receive ring as symbol of university years
This page was last updated on: June 08, 2010