Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Travel advisories

If you are planning to travel during the summer months, holiday season, or breaks, International Student Services recommends the following:

Any international student, faculty or staff member traveling abroad should bring their travel documents to International Student Services for review before leaving the U.S. This includes the passport, U.S. immigration forms (I-20, DS-2019, I-797, ect) and I-94 white card. Those who non-immigrant visa stamp has expired will have to apply for a new visa to re-enter the U.S.

Information that may affect the travel plans of many international students, faculty and staff.

- Contact your own Consulate to determine what travel precautions they suggest.
- Contact the U.S. State Department website to view travel advisories.
- If you had approval to take a reduced course load, document should be carried with you
- If you know that you will need a visa when you travel outside the U.S., come to International Student Services and speak to the Designated School Official (DSO). Also check the U.S. Consulate website where you will be renewing your visa for updated advisories.
- If you need a visa on a short trip, remember that due to many changes in obtaining visas, visa issuance may not be as immediate as previously experienced.
- If you are not maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status, and you need to travel, speak with the DSO before you travel outside the U.S.
- If you are planning a trip to Mexico, there have been significant changes in applying for a Mexican entry visa. You can expect delays up to 30 days when applying for a visa to enter Mexico. Please call the Mexican Consulate or visiting their website.

When you travel, carrying the following documents:

- Passport, Visa, I-94 Card
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Official Transcripts (obtained at the Registrar's Office)
- Financial Support Letters
- Letter of Good Standing (obtained at International Student Services)

Waiting period for non-immigrant Visa

There have been several updates concerning visa issuance for international students, scholars and visitors traveling abroad.

The State Department announced that all men between ages 16 and 45 from certain Arab and Muslim countries will be subject to a waiting period for non-immigrant visa applications that will add an additional time period of up to 20 working days to the application process.

It is important to realize that new regulations make it mandatory for all visa applicants to interview with a consular officer in person, even in your home country. The could create serious delays in visa issuance, especially in countries where interviews were not previously required. Consulates and embassies are more frequently conducting background checks on individuals, resulting in significant delays in visa processing times. Background checks can be triggered by arrests in the United States, your major, certain courses that you may have taken that appear on your transcript, or by being from a country that requires a background check before the issuance of a visa.

If you need to apply for a visa outside the U.S.

It is imperative for anyone traveling out of the U.S. who will need a visa to check the web site of the U.S. consulate or embassy concerning processing times and procedures at  http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html.

If you are planning to have your visa renewed at any border post

Non-Mexican F-1 continuing students in full-time degree programs who can demonstrate that their initial F-1 visa was issued in their home country can apply for an F-1 visa renewal at the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez or Matamoros, Mexico. Students who do apply for an F-1 visa in Mexico or Canada must remember the risks that involved in applying for a visa in either of these countries.

Re-entry into the U.S. will be based on the successful approval of a visa. If a visa application is denied, you will no longer be able to enter the U.S. on an expired visa and I-94 card. Students that are subject to a background/security check will not be able to re-enter the U.S. until the background/security check is complete and the visa is approved. Non-Mexican J-1 student visa holders are not eligible to apply for a visa renewal at Ciudad

This page was last updated on: February 12, 2014