International Student Health Insurance Plan
International student health insurance requirements
Effective Fall 2013, there are significant changes to international student health insurance requirements and processes.
All international students (any student that is not a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident) are required to have the Texas A&M University System Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP). The plan is automatically charged to an international student’s tuition and fee statement. Students may only request a waiver of SSHIP in certain circumstances and provide alternative health insurance coverage. See the waiver process section for more details about how to request a waiver.
Academic Health Plans (AHP) provides program management and administrative services for the student health plans of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. For information concerning the plan and costs, please go to:
International Student Services does not set the cost of the insurance. The cost is set by criteria and a bidding process at the Texas A&M University System. The SSHIP is for all Texas A&M University system universities. The System Student Health Insurance Regulation can be seen here:
Student Health Insurance Regulation Statement
To enroll in the SSHIP:
2. Under the Enrollment column, click International Waive/Enroll Online
3. Enter your Student ID (KID) number (Example: K00654321)
4. Enter your birth date as the Password in the format MMDDYYYY (Example:01011990)
5. Under Submit Enrollment, click on One Click Enrollment.
The Texas A&M University System has established five circumstances in which an international student can request a waiver to the SSHIP and provide alternative health insurance coverage.
- Student is sponsored by the United States government
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SSHIP;
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SSHIP;
- Student is enrolled in only distance learning programs; or
- Student is involved in intercollegiate athletics and coverage for all medical insurance is provided through a policy as part of the current sports accident medical policy approved by System Risk Management.
International Student Services will no longer be reviewing alternative health insurance plans for students. Academic Health Plans will review waiver requests.
To apply for the waiver of SSHIP:
- Have your insurance card and school ID available
- Go to https://www.academichealthplans.com/tamuk/2013-2014/
- Under the Enrollment column, click International Waive/Enroll Online
- Enter your Student ID (KID) number (Example: K00654321)
- Enter your birth date as the Password in the format MMDDYYYY (Example:01011990)
- Select the waiver form under Submit Waivers.
- Complete the waiver form and send your insurance information to firstname.lastname@example.org
This page was last updated on: February 12, 2014