Texas A&M University-Kingsville

International students who are currently in the U.S. on an F-1 visa

If you are currently studying at another U.S. university, International Student Services will email you the process on transfer procedures. If you plan to leave the U.S. before enrolling, please request International Admission to mail your Form I-20 so that you may use the TAMUK Form I-20 to enter the U.S. and apply for a new visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy, if necessary. If you plan to remain in the U.S., USCIS regulations permit a transfer of your immigration status to TAMUK provided that you are in valid F-1 status at the school you are currently attending. Your Form I-20 from TAMUK will be given to you when the transfer is completed. This process is normally completed during check-in at International Student Services.


Failure to complete the transfer process within 15 days results in the violation of immigration regulations. Furthermore, you may not work on campus until the transfer of institutions, per USCIS regulations, is completed. If you are out of status, discuss reinstatement with your current foreign student advisor or with the Designated School Official (DSO) in International Student Services.

Last Updated: 2/6/08

This page was last updated on: February 12, 2014