Texas A&M University-Kingsville

On Campus Employment

Federal regulations allow F-1 students in good standing and legal status with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to work on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20 or DS-2019 while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 or J-1 status.

The employment must be performed on the school's premises (with the exception of those who are authorized to do "on-campus research at an off-campus location"). Students must be on the TAMUK payroll, with the exception of jobs providing services to students, such as the Bookstore or Food Services. This may not include employment on the school's premises for a commercial firm that is not providing on-campus services for students, for example a construction site for a new building.

On-campus employment is not permitted after completion of an academic program (graduation or letter of completion), unless the student has valid Practical Training authorization or has been issued a Form I-20/DS-2019 to begin a new academic program and is registered for the next semester at the same school.

Students may not be compensated for work done while a student is in illegal immigration status or while a reinstatement application (to regain legal status) is pending approval by the DHS.

All students must maintain a full course of study and have valid documentation in order to work on-campus.

You will need to obtain a Verification of In-Status Work Authorization" letter from International Student Services (ISS).

Students transferring out of Texas A&M University-Kingsville cannot work at TAMUK past their transfer release date indicated in SEVIS. Students transferring into TAMUK may begin work once the transfer release date has passed. A student may only engage in on-campus employment at the school having jurisdiction over the student=s SEVIS record.

F-1 Visa Holders

Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Full-time employment (21-40 hours per week) is allowed, on campus, during vacation periods and summer for enrolled and continuing students.

J-1 Visa Holders

If the DS-2019 is issued by TAMUK, then the ability to work on-campus is the same as F-1 visa holders. However, if the DS-2019 is issued by another agency then there must be written authorization from the sponsor.

To request work permission form ISS, bring the following

Verification from hiring department that employment has been offered or continuing (i.e., copy of Form 500 or letter from supervisor).

Passport, Visa and I-94 - documents needed to complete a "Verification of Employment Eligibility" form.

Social Security Card for first time students requesting work authorization.

Complete ISS information half sheet and request On-Campus Work Authorization letter.

Please allow ISS at least 2 working days to process your request-during peak months (August and January) allow up to 5 working days.


This process must be completed at the beginning of each semester to verify your legal immigration status for work eligibility.

Under federal regulations, F-1 students are not required to register for a full course of study during official school breaks, such as summer and inter-semester breaks. AT TAMUK, summer is considered official vacation time unless it is a student's first or last semester. A student is eligible for a vacation: if the student has completed an academic semester prior to taking the vacation; if the student is eligible and intends to register for the next semester; and if s/he is otherwise allowed by the University or by his/her academic department (i.e., graduate research assistantship or graduate teaching assistantship), unless university regulations require otherwise (see the College of Graduate Studies for details).

Finding a Job

The Student Employment Office, located in the Financial Aid Office, at the Student Union Building advertises jobs for students. Also, Career Services (located at Eckhardt Hall) posts jobs for both on and off-campus employment. However, it is imperative to note that international students are allowed to work only on-campus.

Last Updated: 3/26/08

This page was last updated on: August 30, 2012