Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

The student must be in valid F-1 status at the time of application and have been in full-time status for the 9 months preceding the CPT application. Graduate students (master's and doctoral level) whose degree requires immediate participation in CPT may apply at any time.

The CPT program/course must be an integral part of an established curriculum (i.e. it must be required for the degree program or earning credit for the degree program) and listed in the school’s catalog with the assigned number of credits. There must be a faculty member teaching or supervising/monitoring the training program. Also, the employer, the student, and the Academic/Graduate Advisor must agree on clearly defined course objectives for the program, as it must be done to satisfy degree requirements. For graduate students on thesis or dissertation, the work done must be required to complete the thesis or dissertation.

CPT must be taken for academic credit at TAMUK, even in summer terms unless it is a non-waivable requirement that earns no credit. A student must be registered as a full-time student if CPT takes place in a major semester (Fall/Spring) or the last semester of the student’s degree program unless the student is participating in an approved Cooperative Education program designated as a 600-level or 400-level course.

You must be authorized for CPT by a Designated School Official (DSO) with International Student Services (ISS) before beginning any employment.

All students pursuing CPT will be required to have insurance coverage during the duration of the CPT whether participation is during the Fall, Spring, and/or Summer months.  

F-1 Employment Authorization

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization directly related to an F-1 nonimmigrant status student’s academic program where the work done counts towards course credit.

Bring the following to International Student Services:

- Passport and Form I-94 (originals)

- Form I-20 (original)

Verification from your Graduate Advisor (for graduate students) or from the undergraduate advisor or coordinator of the internship or cooperative education program (for undergraduate students) on the CPT Authorization Form (included in this packet) which includes the following:

- A description of the program (internship or cooperative education program).

- Name and course number of the internship or research course for which you will be earing credit, name of the professor supervising the course and when the course credit will be earned.

- Name and location (address) of the company/institution where you will be working.

- Beginning and ending dates of employment and the hours per week to be worked.

- Letter from the employer describing the work to be performed, in detail, by the student; physical location of where the work is to be performed; dates of employment; full or part time; number of hours per week; salary; and if benefits are included.

- While you are working on Curricular Practical Training, you must be insured. Therefore, you must purchase insurance coverage prior to receiving approval for the CPT work authorization.

Purpose is to allow students to engage in internships, practicums or cooperative education programs.

Curricular Practical Training Information Sheet

Information regarding Curricular Practical Training can be obtained from the CPT Handout which can be downloaded here or is also available in our office.

Curricular Practical Training Checklist

This is a checklist of documents that must be completed and submitted to ISS in order for CPT employment to be processed and approved.

CPT Authorization Form

This is an International Student Service (ISS) form that you and your advisor will need to complete in order for the CPT to be authorized by a Designated School Official (DSO).

This page was last updated on: September 05, 2012