Dependents of J-1 Exchange Visitors

The Office of International Student & Scholar Services (OISSS) can assist a J-1 Exchange Visitor in inviting their dependents to US in J-2 status. Please note a dependent is defined as a spouse or an unmarried child under the age of 21.

Dependents entering the US in J-2 status may pursue part- or full-time degree-seeking coursework and may apply for employment authorization from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

To invite your dependent to the US, please submit a request to IS to obtain a DS-2019 “to allow dependents to enter the US”. Your application should include a completed Form OISSS-200: Request for J-2 Dependent, as well as verification of funding for you and your dependent.  You will need to demonstrate funding for you and your dependents for the entire period of your form DS-2019.

When the DS-2019 for your dependent has been processed, you will then send it to them with original financial documents to show complete financial support so they may apply for their J-2 visa. Please note, the financial documents submitted to OISSS will not be returned to you.

This page was last updated on: December 11, 2018