J-1 Exchange Visitor Categories at Tamuk

Student: International students may come here as full-time degree-seeking students in J-1 status. While there are some minor differences between J-1 and F-1 students, the primary reason why individuals enter the US as J-1 students is based on the source of funding they receive.  Students receiving funding from other sources, such as non-governmental organizations, usually also enter the US in J-1 status. Students must demonstrate adequate funds for the entire period of study in the US, so the J-1 status is not used by the majority of international students. Students who receive funding from the government of their home country or the US (e.g. Fulbright) are issued a DS-2019 so they may apply for a J-1 visa.

J-1 Students (as well as Student Interns and International Visitors) are required to have a letter verifying that they are authorized for employment, unlike most other J categories, in which the category on the DS-2019 itself implies that eligibility. They are not required to show proof of an offer of employment. This is spelled out in Program Operations Manual System RM 10211.345 Evidence of Employment Authorization for the J1 (Exchange Visitor) and J2 (Dependent of J1) Classes of Admission

Non-Degree Student In some cases, Tamuk will issue a DS-2019 to an international to enter the US as a non-degree student.  There is a 24 month maximum stay for non-degree students. For more information on our Exchange Programs, please contact the Office of International Studies and Programs (OISP).  Individuals who are eligible for this Exchange Visitor category are participants in an academic exchange program between Tamuk and a foreign academic institution, or through a Memorandum of Understanding between the schools

Short-Term Scholar: An individual sponsored by an academic department to join the University as a short-term scholar enters the US for a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, research, observing, consulting, training, or instructing in special skills. This category has a maximum stay of six months.

Research Scholar An individual comes here for the purpose of conducting research, observing, or consulting on a research project. A Research Scholar may also teach or lecture at the discretion of the sponsor. This category has a maximum stay of five years.

Professor An individual join our university for the purpose of teaching or lecturing. A Professor may conduct research at the discretion of the sponsor. This category has a maximum stay of five years.  

Note: All Exchange Visitor categories cannot be used to fill in a tenured track position.

This page was last updated on: August 30, 2017