According to SEVP Policy, F1 students may begin applying for the 17-Month Extension up to 120 days prior to their OPT End Date indicated on their EAD card. Our office recommends applying at least 90 days prior to your OPT end date.
As long as students properly file their application for the 17-Month Extension prior to the end date of OPT Employment, students may continue to work for up to 180 days while their application is pending with USCIS, even after their EAD is expired.
To begin applying for OPT Extension, please send an e-mail with the subject line: OPT Extension Request to email@example.com, and include the following information (even if nothing has changed since your last update to ISS):
- Current physical, residential address
- Job Title/Position
- Company Name (you may also include client name if different from company name)
- Company Address as entered in E-verify (include worksite address if different E-verify address)
- Supervisor's Name
- Supervisor’s Phone Number
- Employer Start Date
- Request to apply for OPT Extension
Our office will then issue and mail out an OPT Extension I-20 and a Checklist that students can use to guide them through the application process. A condensed version of the checklist can also be found below.
This page was last updated on: March 10, 2014