Scarlet, White, and Emerald Green
The Star and Crescent
Lilly of the Valley
Caduceus; Star and Crescent
A Greater Cause to Military Heroes
- The Fraternity should complement and enhance the educational mission of the host institution.
- The Fraternity should promote the ideal of Brotherhood.
- The Fraternity should actively contribute to the personal growth and development of its members.
- The Fraternity should promote ethical behavior and decision-making.
- The Fraternity should encourage service to others.
At the heart of Kappa Sigma lie the Fraternity's Four Pillars, which guide our ambitions and underpin our successes. Striving for excellence in Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship and Service produces Brothers who are involved in all aspects of campus life; who excel academically as students and professionally upon graduation; who develop lifelong bonds with those around them and who support those peers; and who serve their colleges and communities. Becoming a Kappa Sigma provides the framework to build yourself into the man you want to be.
Modern day Kappa Sigma was founded one chilly evening in the fall of 1869, as five students attending the University of Virginia in Charlottesville gathered in the room of William Grigsby McCormick, at 46 East Lawn, and planted the seed of Brotherhood. For many weeks the bonds of friendship had drawn these five together; now the need became clear for a formal structure to contain their feelings. Thus, not only did the Founders formalize their friendship, but they also created a fraternity steeped in the traditions of the past and dedicated to the Pursuit of Learning. The new brothers recorded their bond in a Constitution and in an Oath that set forth the ideals and principles to all Kappa Sigma’s today.
- The Kappa Sigma Fraternity was founded December 10, 1869 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia. Kappa Sigma celebrated its 142nd anniversary in 2011.
- Kappa Sigma is one of the five largest fraternities with over 255,000 initiates of which over 196,000 are living, and currently has over 14,000 undergraduate members.
- Currently, Kappa Sigma has 341 Chapters and 29 Colonies in the United States and Canada.
- The Fraternity has developed a strong focus on recruitment through its Champion Quest Campaign. Kappa Sigma has had seven consecutive years of record-breaking growth. In the 2010-2011 academic year, Kappa Sigma set another record with the recruitment of 7,533 pledges. In the 2009-2011 biennium Kappa Sigma initiated more than 10,000 men.
*A Student Service Fee Funded Program
This page was last updated on: June 21, 2012