Student Property


Occasionally, incidents such as fire, theft, flood and other casualties may cause damage to residents’ property stored in campus residence hall rooms. Texas A&M University-Kingsville does not carry insurance on residents’ belongings, and can only pay for damages as permitted by the Texas Tort Claims Act (TX Gov’t Code 101.021). The act provides Texas A&M University-Kingsville can only pay for property damage proximately caused by the wrongful act, omission, or negligence of an employee acting within his or her scope of employment if the property damage arises from the operation or use of a motor-driven vehicle or motor-driven equipment. Therefore, University Housing and Residence Life strongly encourages students to either (1) make arrangements with their parent’s or guardian’s homeowners’ insurance company to insure coverage for personal belongings, or (2) purchase separate property or renters insurance.

In some instances, a parent’s or guardian’s homeowners’ insurance will cover damage to property of a dependent child in a state owned facility (such as a residence hall or University Apartment), but this is not a universal truth. Consult with your parents or guardians and their insurance agent to decide whether or not personal belongings on campus are already covered, and if there might be any limitations to the coverage. While reviewing coverage, be sure to review any applicable deductibles. If not covered, or if coverage cannot be added, ask the insurance agent about purchasing a separate property or renter’s insurance policy.

Texas A&M University-Kingsville has selected a preferred property/renters insurance company that offers a variety of different coverage options at reasonable prices. The university has identified CSI Insurance Agency, Inc. as the preferred provider. Information about available policies available through CSI can be found at:

If a student’s personal belongings brought on campus are not already covered under a homeowner’s insurance policy, Texas A&M University-Kingsville strongly encourages residents to consider securing property or renters insurance. Students should review the varied plan options offered by CSI (and any other insurance provider of their choosing); to determine and choose the coverage that most closely aligns with their needs.

This page was last updated on: October 9, 2015