Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to common questions.

  • How do I apply for financial aid?

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for financial aid. To be eligible for financial assistance, a student must be making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, and demonstrate financial need, except when applying for funds from a program that does not call for financial need. In addition, a student must not be in default on any loan, and/or not owe a refund on grants received at an institution of higher education. Transfer students enrolled for the summer terms are not eligible for federal financial assistance (transient students).

  • Do I have to do a FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) every year?

Yes, if you would like to receive financial aid. The Financial Aid office strongly encourages every student to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  New forms become available each year January 1. The priority deadline for Fall/Spring is March 15, Spring only deadline is November 1, and Summer only is May 2 of each year.

  • Do scholarships affect my financial aid?

Yes, scholarships are a form of financial aid. Your financial aid cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance (COA); generally, this includes the tuition and fees normally assessed a student, together with the institution's estimate of the cost of room and board, transportation and commuting costs, books and supplies, and miscellaneous personal expenses.

  • Do I have to pay back funds that arise from an "over-award" to my student account? 

Yes, an over-award may occur if you receive funding over the cost of education at your university.  Financial aid is based on the cost of education, if you receive more money in scholarship, etc. your financial aid package is adjusted to match the cost of education.

  • Does dropping a class affect my aid?

Yes, half-time enrollment status is required to receive financial aid with the exception of Federal Pell grant. Both Undergraduates and graduates need at least 6 hours each regular semester and 3 hours each summer session if attending summer school. For more information, please see our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

  • What happens if I withdraw from the University?

The student is responsible for paying any outstanding charges to the University. When a student withdraws from the University during the first 20 days of classes during a long semester, 6 days during summer session and 2 days during the Intersession the University will refund a portion of the Tuition and Fees charged to a student. Please review our R2T4 website for more information.

  • How can I get my refund money directly deposited into my bank account?

Students may complete and submit a Direct Deposit form to the Business Office so that refunds are sent electronically to their personal checking/savings account. Here's the form.

  • How do I get a work-study job?

In order to receive a work-study job, you must first be awarded work-study funds in your financial aid package. After accepting your work-study financial aid, select a job. The job numbers can be found in the glass case outside of the Financial Aid Office in the SUB or online HERE. Take the job numbers you have selected to the Financial Aid Office clerks and they will assist you from there. You may apply for three jobs per day.

Check out the videos below for more information.

More informational videos can be found at