Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Grievance Procedures

A. Texas A&M University-Kingsville (TAMUK) and the Disability Resource Center support students in their right to file a grievance when they believe equal access has been denied in regard to appropriate accommodations, modifications, auxiliary aids, or effective communication or when they believe they have been discriminated against as described in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 or the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).

B. TAMUK has general grievance procedures that apply to all students, which of course include students with disabilities. These procedures can be found in the Student Handbook.

C. There are also two additional grievance procedures established specifically for students with disabilities who feel their rights have been violated under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 or Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).

  1. The first procedure is recommended for resolving disability-related conflicts with faculty, staff, campus organizations and/or other students.

    • A student is encouraged to discuss his/her concerns with the DRC Intake Counselor who will contact the parties involved, as appropriate, to determine resolution. For example the DRC Intake Counselor may attempt to resolve the situation by assisting the student in discussing issues with a faculty member, by facilitating a meeting of the parties involved, or by calling the faculty member and/or head of the department in an effort to clarify and resolve issues. In some instances, other DRC staff may be consulted. The student, and other involved parties, will be notified by the DRC office of the resolution of the situation within 7 business days. Due to the urgency of many issues, it is likely that many problems will be resolved much sooner.
    • A student may take further action if he/she does not believe a satisfactory resolution was reached after intervention by the DRC Coordinator. Students should notify the Director of Students Health & Wellness (SWH) of the appropriate disability-related academic concerns.
  2. The second procedure is recommended for resolving conflicts with the DRC office and/or a particular DRC staff person.

    • When a student has a complaint against DRC and/or one of its staff members, the student should first discuss the complaint with the DRC Intake Counselor. Resolution of the issue may be reached at this level.
    • If the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved or for a specific reason cannot be discussed with the DRC Coordinator, the student should contact the Student Health and Wellness Director. If the complaint is not resolved the student should contact the Vice President of Student Affairs to discuss the issue further and explore other solutions. After investigating the situation, the Vice-President of Student Affairs will inform the student and the involved parties of progress.
  3. If after utilizing these procedures a satisfactory resolution is still not obtained, the student may choose to file a complaint with the Federal Office of Civil Rights. The Office of Civil Rights will take complaints and will investigate when appropriate.

Ralph Rouse
Regional Manager Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1301 Young Street, Suite 1169
Dallas, TX 75202
Phone: (214)767-4056

2.2011 Adapted from Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi

This page was last updated on: August 20, 2013