Parent FAQ's

1. What kind of counseling services are available on campus for my daughter/son?

The Counseling Service provides Personal, Academic, and Career counseling services.

2. Could I talk with a counselor regarding my daughter’s/ son's problem?

All student visits to the Counseling Center are confidential and no information can be released without the student's written consent. Although we cannot share confidential information with you, our counselors are available to consult with you if you desire further information about the Counseling Center or if you want to discuss a concern.

3. How can my daughter/son make an appointment?

Your daughter/son can call the Counseling Center to arrange an appointment.

4. My daughter/son is a freshman. He/she recently called me and sounds overwhelmed and stressed. What can he/ she do?

Ask your daughter/son to talk to you about how it is to be at the university and what his/her days have been like. Listen to what he/ she has to say without giving advice or solutions right away. Just let him/her talk to you about what's going on and how he’s/she's dealing with things. Ask him/ her what he/she worries about and what he/she thinks might help him/ her. Let him/her know that going to college is a big change and that stress is natural in this situation. Adjusting to being away from home, having to make decisions for himself/ herself, and trying to figure everything out takes time, maybe several weeks. Encourage him/ her to have fun and to begin to develop friendships with people he/ she can talk to. Tell him/her that you have faith in him/ her and that you support him/ her and will be there for him/her. Ask him/her to stay in touch with you on a regular basis. If he/she continues to have problems adjusting or feeling overwhelmed, direct him/her to the Counseling Service where he/she can talk to someone about his/her stress.

5. My daughter/son has stopped going to class and sounds depressed. What should I do?

Most of us have experienced brief episodes of depression in our lives. Depression that lingers is likely to require professional intervention. Depression may be precipitated by a significant loss: loss of a loved one, loss of a special role in life, loss of physical ability due to illness or injury, loss of self-esteem after failing to reach an important goal. Perfectionism, setting unrealistically high goals, or expecting to be in control of everything in our lives, can set us up for depression.

Some common signs of depression include:

  • Persistent sadness, excessive crying
  • Social withdrawal
  • Feeling helpless, hopeless, worthless
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating and remembering
  • Anger, irritability
  • Sleep/appetite problems

Your daughter/son may look to you as a role model and may view you as a major resource for guidance and help with his problem. Your willingness to be there-to listen, to support and encourage, to share your knowledge and experience, to advise-plays a significant role in your son's persistence and success. Discuss with your son the option of coming to the Counseling Service and speaking with a professional who can help. Your daughter/ son may be skeptical and reluctant to seek this help. It is important for you to accept his/her reaction, while calmly repeating your recommendation.

6. My daughter/son has a learning disability. Where can he/she go to get help on campus?

The DRC office can provide your daughter/son with general information on services available, learning disabilities, and attention deficit disorders. You may call them at (361) 593-3024.

This page was last updated on: September 28, 2015