Education Preparation Program (EPP)
The Educator Preparation Program (EPP) is a traditional teaching certification program involving an undergraduate degree coupled with certification.
Effective Fall 2015:
All candidates accepted into the undergraduate traditional educator preparation program will be required to pass the following PRIOR TO student teaching:
1. Re-test until passing scores are achieved, delaying student teaching until eligibility is met, or
2. Forfeit eligibility for teacher certification and graduate with a non-certificate based degree plan. Candidates choosing this option may pursue teacher certification through a post-baccalaureate program or an alternative certification program.
The Educator Preparation Program at Texas A&M University-Kingsville prides itself as a field-based program providing students with extensive opportunities for hands-on learning and application at area public and private schools. Students benefit from a faculty and staff who share a mission to prepare qualified, confident, and inspiring educators to maximize learning for children.
Through coursework designed in compliance with the Texas Education Agency - State Board for Educator Certification and Standards, students gain valuable knowledge for a successful teaching profession. Aspiring educators in our Educator Preparation Program (EPP) are prepared for classroom roles in schools with diverse populations in a changing cultural and educational environment.
In addition to field-based experiences, our faculty utilize technology, research-based teaching methods, and outcome-based performance assessments.
Below is a checklist for application to the EPP (the link will take you to a PDF version of this EPP Application checklist).
- Completion of 60 semester hours
- Complete Application for Admission and Teacher Candidate Commitment Contract (in admission packet). All pages MUST BE SIGNED AND DATED.
- Answered the teacher aide question on application
- Answered the felony question on application
- Professional current email address - you will need an active email account in order to apply for certification. NO EMAIL = NO CERTIFICATION
- Teacher Education Program Disclosure Form included
- Criminal History Background Check Consent Form included
- Complete a Critical Thinking Requirement (EDED 1301 or an equivalent course) Equivalent Course: _______________________
- Read the Texas Administrative Code of Ethics and the Affirmation form must be signed and dated.
- Completion of the following core courses:
Course Grade English 1301 English 1302 with a "C" or better History 1301 History 1302 Math 1314, 1316, or a higher math
- Submit TSI documentation for TSI Complete or Exemption/Waiver
361-593-4051 - to schedule this test.
preparation program. In addition the student must have a GPA of 2.75 in teaching field content area in order to student teach).
(Schedule in RH-Room 112).
The above represents all of the requirements for admission to EPP
Additional InformationContact your college advisor.
This page was last updated on: February 4, 2017