Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Foreign Travel


Travel to locations outside of the United States requires special planning. Advanced written approval from the chief administrator (university president) is required before any foreign travel takes place. In addition to normal trip planning, you must also acquire the following:

  • An appropriate visa
  • An updated passport
  • Any special immunization required
  • Any additional health insurance required

There are also special rules that govern foreign travel which affect:

  • Allowable reimbursement amounts for lodging and meals
  • Allowable insurance reimbursement for rental cars
  • Allowable upgrades to air travel
  • No state funds are to be used for foreign travel. 

Special Rates for Foreign Travel Lodging and Meals

All lodging and meal limits are restricted to actual expenses incurred and all itemized receipts are required for foreign travel. Please refer to the Foreign Travel Reimbursement Rates on Textravel to determine your allowable limits for all sources of funds or call the Travel Department for assistance. Refer to the Current Conversion Guide to convert foreign currency to U.S. Dollars. 

Required Foreign Travel Approvals

State policy requires approval by your university president if traveling outside the United States (including Mexico, Canada, and U. S. possession) thirty days prior to the trip.  Complete the pre-trip authorization request thirty days prior to the trip on our e-Travel system, Concur.   Select “foreign” in the travel classification box.  This will route the pre-trip authorization request to the appropriate approvers.  Concur on-line training for the pre-trip authorization is available on http://www.tamuk.edu/businessoffice/Travel/index.html.  

Travel Warnings

The State will issue travel warnings of countries that pose a high-risk to travelers.  Travelers should avoid or consider the risk of travel to such countries.  A list is found on Concur under “My Concur” tab in the “Welcome to Travel” section.   Before traveling to a country that is found on the travel warnings list, contact the Office of Academic Affairs.  

This page was last updated on: October 01, 2014