Decorative Image Javelina Bound Banner

Transfer Applicant



Definition -

A citizen or permanent resident of the United States; someone who has applied for permanent residency; or who qualifies for Texas residency based on SB 1528.

A degree-seeking applicant, who has graduated from high school or equivalent, who has enrolled in a post-secondary institution, who does not have a bachelor’s degree, and who does not qualify for readmission.

Application Dates/ Deadline for Term

Spring 2019  -  Opening July 1, 2017    Closing December 1, 2018
Summer 2019  -  Opening July 1, 2018   Closing May 1, 2019
Fall 2019  -  Opening July 1, 2018   Closing August 1, 2019
Spring 2020  -  Opening July 1, 2018   Closing December 1, 2019

Documents Needed/Required Credentials

All materials must be received by the application deadline.
  • Nonrefundable Processing Fee $25 - Credit Card payments via ApplyTexas are preferred. Checks and money orders made payable to TAMUK are accepted.
  • Official College Transcript(s). Must be mailed in a sealed school envelope or submitted electronically from each institution attended including dual credit coursework completed in high school. NOTE: College work from one institution posted on the transcript of another institution will not be accepted. (Faxed, scanned or emailed copies will not be accepted).
  • For students with less than 12 transferrable hours after high school graduation, Officialhigh school transcript with graduation date and graduation plan; must have original signature of a school official or an original school seal and come in a sealed school envelope. Final transcripts must be submitted via TREx or postal mail. Faxed, scanned, or emailed copies will be considered ‘unofficial.’
  • For students with less than 12 transferrable hours after high school graduation, SAT or ACT scores. Scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. The Texas A&M-Kingsville SAT code is 6822 and the ACT code is 4212.
  • If permanent resident, must submit a copy of both sides of the permanent resident card or I-485 prior to enrollment. If application is in process please provide copy of I-797. If under 18, a copy of the parent’s permanent resident card is also required.
  • If Texas resident based on SB 1528, must submit the SB 1528 affidavit prior to enrollment.

Admission Requirements

Transfer admission decisions are made by the Transfer Services Team within the Office of Admission.

Transfer with 12 or more transferrable hours:

  • Eligible for continued admission at the last school attended.
  • Have completed at least 12 credit hours of non-development, non-vocational or non-technical coursework at a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all college coursework attempted.

Transfer with less than 12 transferrable hours:

  • Meet or exceed the freshman admission requirements.
  • Eligible for continued admission at the last school attended.
  • Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all college coursework attempted.

NOTE: To be accepted into the College of Engineering, the overall grade point average from all college work must be 2.5/4.0 or greater.

  • Grades for all transferable courses, earned after high school graduation, are used in the computation of the GPA.

* This average is calculated on all transferred college-level work the applicant has undertaken, whether passed or failed.

* Plus and minus grade designations are not used; C+ is computed as a C, B+ is computed as a B, etc.

* Grades from transitional (developmental) courses are not included

Additional Information

  • Credit by examination courses which are transcripted from other colleges or universities may be transferred if sequential coursework with credit is also indicated.  If there is evidence that the credit by examination courses are part of the student’s program of study at that institution, credit will be awarded for those courses that meet the transfer guidelines.
  • The university permits students to transfer lower division (freshman and sophomore) courses from a community college as long as the work fulfills their particular degree requirements. No work taken at a community college can be transferred as an upper-division (junior or senior) level course.
  • Former course work taken at other universities will be translated into Texas A&M-Kingsville equivalents based on whether it is equal in character and content.
  • Transfer course work grade point average is brought in as CREDIT ONLY. Transfer grades cannot be used to raise the grade point average at this university. Work brought in after the initial enrollment will not be used to duplicate previously transferred courses.
  • A minimum of 30 semester hours of 3000 and/or 4000 level coursework, with a minimum of 12 of the course hours in the major, MUST be completed in residence at Texas A&M University-Kingsville to qualify for a Baccalaureate degree.