What is the deadline to apply for Housing?
There is no deadline, although there is a priority deadline. Students new to the halls are assigned on a first-come, first serve basis. Some halls will fill up early and the students will then be assigned to their second or third choice, depending on the date their contract was received. Students should apply for housing by completing these 4 steps:
- Student must be accepted for admission to the University.
- Completing an academic year housing agreement. (includes info about specific hall and roommate preferences, if any)
- Submit a copy of bacterial meningitis vaccination. (as mandatory law)
- Placing a $150.00 room reservation and damage deposit. (make check payable to TAMUK)
What is the cost for room and board?
Rates are for a semester and include the cost of a room and meals (board). The cost of their housing will be calculated together with their tuition and fees. Students may opt to pay in one lump sum or on a deferred plan (pay in installments, plus one-time $30 administrative fee). For more details on the charges please visit the rates page.
Are students required to live in the residence halls?
Students who are single and are under 20 years of age on September 1 of the respective fall semester or on January 18 of the respective spring semester, or have less than 30 hours are required to reside on campus unless living at home with parents or if granted an exception by the university.
Exceptions may include residing locally with a family member, military status, or a parent of young children. Each request will be considered individually.
To be considered for an exception, students must complete and submit a Residence Life Housing Exception Request to the Housing Office.
Steps to request a waiver:
1. Obtain and complete the Housing Exception Request form from the Residence Life Office.
2. Requests for housing exceptions should be submitted prior to July 15th for the Fall semester and December 1st for the Spring semester. All requests will be reviewed by Housing within 10 business days from their receipt. At the students discretion, requests that have been denied may be appealed directly to the Interim Senior Vice President for Fiscal and Student Affairs. Information on this process will be provided directly to you in your denial letter.
3. Until a written notice is received confirming exception from the requirement, students who request exceptions to the policy should not make arrangements to reside off campus.
Can you choose your roommate?
Students are welcome to request a specific person otherwise they will be paired with someone else. It is important that they provide the information requested in the contract as that information assists us in making a roommate selection. Students who have a specific roommate in mind should do the following:
- Write the complete name and Student K number of the person (to avoid confusion with similar names) on each others contract.
- Send in their housing contracts a the same time or as close together as possible. For Fall semester assignment, both contracts should be sent in by the May 1st priority deadline.
- Students who apply later may not get their roommate selection because as the halls fill, we will be assigning students applying late to spaces that are available.
Can you request a single (private) room?
All students will be assigned a roommate at the beginning of the Fall semester. On the first class day students may sign up on the private room waiting list. We must wait for all students to check in, and verify cancellations, before determining availability. Private rooms will be issued on a space available basis and in accordance with the waiting list after the 12 th class day. There is an additional charge of $350 for a private room unless the rates include it.
Are there any off-campus options if I do not choose to live on campus?
Yes! If you are interested in off-campus options, St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Hall is only a few steps from the University. Click here to learn more about living at St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Hall or apply online here.
This page was last updated on: May 15, 2013