For Financial Aid information while participating in a study abroad program, please visit the website of the Office of Student Financial Aid.
The IEEF (International Education Exchange Fund) scholarship is awarded to students on a competitive basis. There are two major types of scholarships, Study Abroad Scholarships and In-state Tuition Waiver Scholarships. (click here for application) According to university policy, 85% of scholarship fund is for Study Abroad and 15% of the scholarship fund is awarded to students seeking an In-state Tuition Waiver.
Study Abroad Scholarship is available to all undergraduate and graduate students who participate in a TAMUK study abroad program in the coming academic year and the award amount changes depending on number of students applied and on the amount of available money. The normal range is from a few hundred to $2,000.00.
The In-state tuition waiver scholarship is offered to all nonresidents and international students. This scholarship includes a cash award of $1,000, and an adjustment of tuition and fees. This is possible because of The Texas Administrative Code, which provides that a nonresident person who receives a competitive scholarship from a Texas public institution of higher education under certain conditions may receive a waiver of out-state tuition surcharge.
When applying, please submit the application in person to the Office of International Studies & Programs (OISP), located in Cousins Hall Room 113-A.
To qualify for the IEEF scholarship, an undergraduate student must have a minimum TAMUK GPA of 2.5 and a Graduate student must have a minimum TAMUK GPA of 3.0. You must have completed at least one semester at TAMUK prior to application.
The following documents MUST be submitted in person along with the completed application:
- Current TAMUK transcript (This can be printed out through Blue & Gold. Official transcripts are not required.)
- Personal statement
- 2 letters of reference from TAMUK faculty/staff
Other Scholarship Opportunities
Aside from our bi-annual IEEF Study Abroad Scholarship, we encourage all our students to apply for the following scholarships.
- Benjamin A. Gilman: The U.S. Department of State's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is pleased to announce that the online application is open for students participating in credit-bearing study abroad programs and international internships during the spring 2016 and summer 2016 terms. The Gilman Program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go. All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply. For more information about the Gilman Scholarship, webinar schedules, and other helpful resources, including subscription to Gilman Advisor Newsletters, please visit the Gilman website at www.iie.org/gilman.
- Freeman-ASIA: Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.
- NAFSA: U.S. Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants List
- The Rowe Fund: The General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (the OAS) offers both scholarships and interest-free loans to Latin American and Caribbean students to help finance their education, research or training at universities in the United States. For more information, visit: www.oas.org/en/rowefund or e-mail: email@example.com
This page was last updated on: January 25, 2016