Military & Veteran Resource Center

State Benefits

Hazlewood Act (Exemptions for Texas Veterans)

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of  up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees. 

Hazlewood Checklist


A Veteran must:

  • At the time of entry into active duty the U.S. Armed Forces,
    • designated Texas as Home of Record;
    • or entered the service in Texas;
    • or was a Texas resident;
  • Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions as indicated on the Veteran’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214);
  • Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training);
  • Currently reside in Texas;
  • Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;
  • Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
  • Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.


  1. Apply and be accepted to a  Texas public college or university of his/her choice. Go to  to apply or use your institution’s application for admission;
  2. Provide proof (DD214) from the Department of Defense regarding military service and the nature of discharge;
  3. Provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for GI Bill® benefits (Chapter 31, 33/Post-9/11) by requesting a certificate of eligibility for federal education benefits  online here(if Veteran has active duty service after 9/11/2001);
  4. Fill out the  Hazlewood Exemption application form; and
  5. Turn in the  Hazlewood Exemption application form, a copy of your letter of eligibility/ineligibility, and a copy of your DD214 into the financial aid office of the institution you will be attending.

Applications and all supporting documentation must be received by the institution no later than the last day of class in order to be evaluated for the semester or term.

Texas Veteran Commission