Center for Academic Technology

Digital Learning

State Authorization

State Authorization is the Federal regulation that higher education institutions must obtain a state's authorization to offer distance learning courses and programs to students living in a state where the University is not physically located, i.e. out-of-state students.

As a participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), Texas A&M  University - Kingsville may admit students who live in states that are members of NC-SARA.

The member states and participating institutions are listed on the NC-SARA website. -

If you are a student living in a state that is not a member of NC-SARA, TAMUK may have a direct agreement with your state. For more information, please call Dr. Rolando R. Garza, Director of the Center for Academic Technology in the division of Academic Affairs, at (361) 593-5501 or email

Process for Resolving Complaints

Students residing outside of the State of Texas while attending Texas A&M  University - Kingsville should try to resolve the matter with the University first by emailing the enter for Academic Technology in the division of Academic Affairs at or by phone at (361) 593-5501.

Complaints regarding student grades or student conduct violations are governed entirely by institutional policy and the laws of the SARA institution’s home state.

If a person bringing a complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process for handling complaints, the complaint (except for complaints about grades or student conduct violations) may be appealed, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the SARA portal entity in the home state of the institution against which the complaint has been lodged. That entity shall notify the SARA portal entity for the state in which the student is located of receipt of that appealed complaint. The resolution of the complaint by the institution’s home state SARA portal entity, through its SARA complaint resolution process, will be final, except for complaints that fall under the provisions found in pages 24-25 of the SARA Manual.

Visit NC-Sara State Portal Entity Contacts for a list of available complaint process information for all states. This page includes information on who to contact from each state.


Professional Licensures And Certifications



If planning to gain a degree that requires a professional licensure or certification, we encourage students to reach out to the state and licensing agency in which the license will be held to ensure acceptance from our programs.

Links to the national licensure boards can be found here:

National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification