Office of International Student & Scholar Services

New Students

I-20 Requirements

After you have been admitted to the university by either Office of Admission for undergraduate students or College of Graduate Studies for graduate students, OISSS will be notified and will contact you to provide instructions on how to request your certificate of eligibility for the either the F-1 student visa or J-1 student visa.  To issue form I-20, OISSS will need the following documents:

  1. Completed, signed Form OISSS-50, Financial Certification
  2. Bank Letter/Statement showing available funds to pay for first year of school
  3. Biographic page of your passport 

If you are currently in the U.S. on an F1 visa, you will have to complete Form OISSS-100, Request to Transfer-In F-1 SEVIS Record.

If you are currently in the U.S. under a different visa type, (i.e. F2, H4, B2, etc.), you may need to change your status to F-1 in order to take part in full-time study.  You may see which visa status are eligible for study (part-time or full-time) here.  If you need to obtain a form I-20 for this purpose, please submit form OISSS-102, Request Form I-20 to Change to F-1 Status.

An F-1/J-1 student who wants to invite their dependent(s) or spouse may obtain information and necessary documents from OISSS so that the individual(s) can request F-2/J-2 visas(s) at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy in a foreign country. Note: A “dependent” is defined as the spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under the age of 21) of the F-1/J-1 student.  Click here to request a dependent form I-20 , and here for form DS-2019.

Note: the following Graduate Programs are online programs and OISSS will not issue form I-20s for the programs.

  1. Adult Education
  2. Instructional Technology
  3. Educational Administration
  4. MBA (Business Administration) or any other online programs

All documents can be e-mailed to OISSS at  Please use PDF format and put all documents together as one attachment.