Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Open Records/Public Information

Texas Public Information Act/ Texas Government Code, Chapter 522 , each person is entitled to complete information about the affairs of government and the official acts of public officials and employees, unless otherwise expressly provided by law. An open records request is a request for public information contained in the files or records of a Texas governmental agency such as Texas A&M University-Kingsville.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Public Information Act?

The Public Information Act, formerly known as the Open Records Act, is located at Chapter 552 of the Government Code. The Act provides a mechanism for citizens to inspect or copy government records. It also provides for instances in which governmental bodies wish to, or are required by law, to withhold government records from the public.

What types of records are subject to the Public Information Act?

Any information collected, assembled, or maintained by or for a governmental body is subject to the Public Information Act. The format (paper, electronic, microfilm, etc.) of the record does not affect its status as a public record.

How do I make a public information request?

Public information requests must be in writing and may be made by mail, email or fax. Requests should be addressed to Karen Royal, Director of Compliance. Please clearly label your request as “Public Information Request.”

Email contact:


Mailing Address:

Karen B. Royal
Director of Compliance
700 University Boulevard MSC 221
Kingsville, Texas 78363

What should I say in my public information request?

Your request should be as specific as possible to enable the Public Information Officer to identify exactly what information you are requesting. You must provide a proper and complete mailing address for our response.

What is the cost of copies of public information?

Rules for charges

Who is the Public Information Officer at Texas A&M University-Kingsville?

Karen B. Royal
Director of Compliance
Texas A&M University-Kingsville
Phone: (361) 593-4758
Fax: (361) 593-4755


How long does the governmental body have to respond to my request for information?

The Act provides that we must respond promptly to a request for information. If we are unable to produce the requested information within 10 business days, the officer for public information will send you correspondence certifying that he is unable to do so and will set a date and time when the records will be available to you.

When may a governmental body refuse to release the information I request?

If the information you request falls within one of the exceptions to disclosure found in the Public Information Act, the governmental body may refuse to release the information while it seeks an open records decision from the Attorney General. Unless the governmental body has a previous determination from a court or the Attorney General regarding the precise information requested, a governmental body cannot determine on its own to withhold information.

More about Public Information

2014 Public Information Handbook (PDF)

Texas A&M University System Policies

This page was last updated on: November 04, 2014