Texas A&M University-Kingsville

Veteran Sports Information Director joins Javelina Athletics

KINGSVILLE - August 15, 2006

Contact: Jill Scoggins
or

Sean Johnson
Sean Johnson

A 20-year veteran of collegiate sports information and marketing brings his acumen and expertise to Javelina Athletics as the next sports information director for Texas A&M University-Kingsville.

Sean Johnson, associate athletics director at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, joined the Javelina Athletics staff Aug. 14, overseeing media relations, the Javelina Athletics Web site at www.javelinaathletics.com, game statistics and record keeping and production of media guides, promotional materials and the coach’s television show.

Johnson is a 1983 graduate of the University of Missouri-Columbia and has served as SID at six other institutions – University of North Texas ( Dallas), University of Idaho ( Moscow), Angelo State University ( San Angelo, Texas), University of Arkansas-Little Rock, University of Missouri-St. Louis and Lincoln University ( Jefferson City, Mo.).

He came to New Mexico State in 2001 as assistant athletics director, and when Dr. McKinley Boston joined New Mexico State as athletics director in 2005, he named Johnson associate athletics director.

Under Boston, Johnson says, the athletics department made a “180-degree turn toward progress.” Together, Boston and Johnson led efforts that resulted in NMSU surpassing the $1 million mark in ticket sales for the first time in school history; increasing its radio network from three stations to 13; and producing its first coaches’ television show in more than five years.

With the accomplishments, however, he found himself doing less and less of the things he loves most: being with his family and interacting one-on-one with student-athletes and coaches as an SID.

“While our work at New Mexico State was extremely rewarding, it also was a very time-consuming, high-pressure undertaking,” Johnson says. “It took me away from my family” – Johnson and wife Marcia have a seven-and-a-half year old son, Ian – “and it took me away from working closely and communicating with student-athletes and coaches.

“I know what a great program A&M-Kingsville has, and I want to be part of that. I know what kind of town Kingsville is, and it’s the kind of town I want to raise my son in and the kind of town I’d love to retire in.”

Javelina Athletics Director Jill Willson finds Johnson a perfect fit. “We have a winning tradition and excellent program in a great town for raising a family, and he has the skills and experience that can help take our athletics information department to a new level,” she says. “He was our number one choice for the position.”

Johnson says his number one priority is to “get out from behind the desk as much as possible.”

“The key to being an effective SID is the ability to communicate,” he says. “You have to get out of your chair and take your news to the people with whom you want to communicate; you can’t expect them to come to you. As the SID, I intend to make frequent trips to meet reporters and editors face-to-face and develop personal relationships with them.”

He cites former Javelina SID Fred Nuesch as a role model. “I want to continue the great tradition established by Fred,” Johnson says. “The joy and excitement that Fred continues to have for Javelina Athletics is infectious. I feel it.

“In me, A&M-Kingsville is getting someone who is recharged and doing the thing he loves most – being an SID.”

Previous Javelina SID Derek Smolik left A&M-Kingsville in June to become the SID at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio.

This page was last updated on: December 13, 2013