Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
The student must be in valid F-1 status at the time of application and have been in full-time status for the 9 months preceding the CPT application. Graduate students (master's and doctoral level) whose degree requires immediate participation in CPT may apply at any time.
The CPT program/course must be an integral part of an established curriculum (i.e. it must be required for the degree program or earning credit for the degree program) and listed in the school's catalog with the assigned number of credits. There must be a faculty member teaching or supervising/monitoring the training program. Also, the employer, the student, and the Academic/Graduate Advisor must agree on clearly defined course objectives for the program, as it must be done to satisfy degree requirements. For graduate students on thesis or dissertation, the work done must be required to complete the thesis or dissertation.
CPT must be taken for academic credit at TAMUK, even in summer terms unless it is a non-waivable requirement that earns no credit. A student must be registered as a full-time student if CPT takes place in a major semester (Fall/Spring) or the last semester of the student's degree program unless the student is participating in an approved Cooperative Education program designated as a 600-level or 400-level course.
**You must be authorized for CPT by a Designated School Official (DSO) with OISSS before beginning any employment.
All students pursuing CPT will be required to have insurance coverage during the duration of the CPT whether participation is during the Fall, Spring, and/or Summer months.
F-1 Employment Authorization
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization directly related to an F-1 nonimmigrant status student's academic program where the work done counts towards course credit.
Bring the following to OISSS:
- Verification from your Graduate Advisor (for graduate students) or from the undergraduate advisor or coordinator of the internship or cooperative education program (for undergraduate students) on the CPT Authorization Form (included in this packet)
- Copy of Final Degree Plan
- Letter from the Employer describing the work to be performed, in detail, by the student; physical location of where the work is to be performed; dates of employment; full or part time; number of hours per week; salary; and if benefits are included.
- Completed and signed Internship Contract Agreement obtained from Career Services
- While you are working on an internship under Curricular Practical Training, you must be registered for the course you are requesting CPT Employment for
Purpose is to allow students to engage in internships, practicums or cooperative education programs.
Information regarding Curricular Practical Training can be obtained from the CPT Handout which can be downloaded here or is also available in our office.
This handout provides a list of Frequently Asked Questions about CPT Employment.
This is a checklist of documents that must be completed and submitted to OISSS in order for CPT employment to be processed and approved. Please ALLOW AT LEAST 5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR APPROVAL PROCESS.
This is an International Student & Scholar Service (ISSS) form that you and your advisor will need to complete in order for the CPT to be authorized by a Designated School Official (DSO).
A $25.00 processing fee is required for each new CPT Application. Please click on the link above for submitting processing fees online through TAMUK MarketPlace.
This page was last updated on: May 04, 2015