Clinical Medical Assistant
Clinical Medical Assistant Program – 140 Classroom Hours + Clinical Externship; Tuition $2,399
- Clinical responsibilities of the medical office – assisting the physician with patient contact and related care
- Preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine laboratory procedures and diagnostic testing
- HIPAA, patient confidentiality, legal aspects of healthcare and office and patient care related regulatory issues
- Recording and taking of vital signs, blood pressure, and other patient care items related to the physician’s office visit
- Review and administration of medications, allergies and other pharmacology related items
- Laboratory procedures, Phlebotomy and the proper techniques to collect specimens for laboratory analysis
- Cardiology and the proper placement of leads when taking a 12 lead EKG
- National Certification: Students would be eligible to take the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national certification examination
- Clinical Externship: Program includes a 160 hour clinical externship opportunity with a local healthcare provider.
Begins Fall 2013:
Tuesdays and Thursdays (plus 6 Saturdays)
October 1 – January 16
6:00pm – 9:30pm (9:00am – 4:30pm)
140 Classroom Hours / 160 Clinical Hours / Tuition $2,399
Clinical Medical Assistant Program – 140 Classroom Hours + a Clinical Externship
This program is intended for students who want to prepare for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career in healthcare. This program will train students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical responsibilities of a medical office. Instruction includes among other things preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine laboratory procedures, diagnostic testing, technical aspects of phlebotomy and the cardiac life cycle. Students will review important topics including phlebotomy, pharmacology, the proper use and administration of medications, taking and documenting vital signs, cardiology including proper lead placements, a professional workplace behavior, ethics and the legal aspects of healthcare. This program includes 140 hours of classroom lecture and hands on labs and a clinical externship opportunity at a local healthcare provider. To be eligible for the clinical rotation, students must successfully complete the 140 hour program, submit to a thorough background check, drug screening and meet other requirements.
Note: Upon successful completion of this program, students would be eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national examination.
Course Contact Hours: 140 hours + Clinical Externship
Student Tuition: $2,399 (includes all textbooks)
Clinical Externship Hours: 160 hours
Please contact Texas A & M University - Kingsville @ 361-593-2861 to register and find out more!
This page was last updated on: August 09, 2013