Statement of Purpose
Local economic conditions have been the focus of the Economic Forum offered by the College of Business Administration. The Forum is held in early Spring, bringing together business managers, educators, and community leaders. Macroeconomic conditions are described by a member of the Dallas Branch of the Federal Reserve. Regional economic conditions are presented by Tom Krueger, CBA Director of Research. Kleberg Bank has provided funding for this project.
In 2012, the College of Business Administration hosted the first Economic Forum. As part of that event, a comparison was made between Kleberg County, adjacent Brooks County and Jim Webb County, and the state of Texas. Several unique factors make Kleberg County unique from even those counties that are close in proximity. The 2013 presentation took a long-run view of economic conditions in Kleberg County, examining trends in economic conditions. In some instances, data presented reaches back over four decades.
Specific goals of this project include:
- Support business owners in their decisions by gathering key indicators of local economic vitality.
- Identify trends in order to ascertain the current situation in the dynamic nature of the economic condition.
- Develop specific economic indicators for the region that are not readily available to decision makers.
- Act as a storehouse of these fundamental and trend insights.
- Develop tools to assess Kleberg County’s economic progress. At the outset baseline measures are being developed that will allow comparison with other regions and measure future economic growth of the economy.
- Bring academic and governmental professionals together with business owners for discussion about the local economy and related critical issues.
- Create a business recruitment and retention tool by publishing this information.
By knowing one’s current economic condition, it is possible to gain an understanding regarding what their future holds. A copy of the booklets distributed at each Economic Forum can be identified by clicking on the respective link.
The final link provides access to some of the publicity regarding the event.
This page was last updated on: May 13, 2013