by Richard A. Laune
Courses in business administration started in the initial year of the university. Under the first year curriculum, courses included shorthand, typewriting, bookkeeping and economics, which were the only courses available and which were placed under the category known as the vocational group. This group was the forerunner of the College of Business Administration and it offered bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees in agriculture, commerce, home economics and manual training.
In the summer of 1926, J.R. Manning headed up the business administration curriculum, which included three different levels of courses in bookkeeping, shorthand and typewriting; in the 1926-1927 catalog, commerce was listed as a major. In 1927, the department added two courses in business correspondence and three courses in accounting.
In 1929, additional courses were offered in office management, commercial subjects for teachers and three courses in advanced accounting. With the college’s name change to Texas College of Arts and Industries in March of 1930, the bulletin defined four new divisions of the college. They were the College of Liberal Arts, College of Education, College of Industries and Commerce and College of Military Science. The College of Industries and Commerce offered a bachelor of business administration degree with course requirements similar to the previous year. However, the spring 1930 semester was the last time the college used the four term quarter system for the school year, which resulted in a requirement of 180 hours to graduate.
In the fall of 1930, the business administration curriculum began to diversify and expand, which made it much more appealing to business majors. The School of Business Administration developed seven categories of course work with each course consisting of three semester hours, courses for teachers and secretaries consisted of elementary typing, two courses in shorthand and typing and two advanced business correspondence and office management. Accounting consisted of two courses in bookkeeping and elementary accounting; two in advanced accounting; two in cost accounting, and one each in auditing principles C.P.A. problems, and income tax accounting.
The business law and real estate courses consisted of three courses in business law and one in the principles of real estate practice. The banking and finance courses consisted of banking practice, bank administration and investments. The insurance and statistic courses consisted of property insurance, life insurance and business statistics. Marketing courses consisted of principles of marketing, personal salesmanship, fundamentals of advertising and sales management. The seventh category, cotton marketing, provided a course in cotton marketing and one in the organization and management of a cotton business.
The year 1930 became a monumental year of change for the former South Texas State Teacher’s College. Not only did the name change, the structure of the semester system changed, the divisions were renamed and the curriculum was greatly expanded, especially in the School of Business Administration.
A master’s degree in business administration was first offered in 1940. As a result, the depth and number of courses became more prominent for both undergraduate and graduate programs. For example, in 1948, the division of business administration added courses to prepare students for examinations leading to Certified Public Accountant, Certified Licensed Underwriter and Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter. In 1965, the business administration division added data processing to its curriculum, and in 1967, it was referred to as electronic data processing (EDP).
In the fall of 1994, the College of Business Administration added computer information systems (CIS) to its curriculum, which offered 17 courses in computer programming and data base operations. In 1996, The Manning Center for Professional Ethics was added to the business administration program. This program provided seven courses in philosophy and logic, and in 2000 the college included the bachelor of applied arts and sciences degree (BAAS) under its umbrella. By fall of 2000, the college also consolidated some of its departments, resulting in the departments of accounting and CIS, economics and finance, and management and marketing.
This page was last updated on: May 25, 2016